Saturday, September 18, 2010

I believe in Miracles.

Okay, so most of us who have children have at least one that takes ALL of our constant thoughts, creativity, research, collaboration,... basically they are on our minds all of the time because we just can't think of what to do next to influence them to do what they need to do to become a successful, productive, and contributing adult someday. In other words, they drive us constantly nuts!!! Yes, out of the 5 I had one of them. I tried every parenting tip available at the time. About the only thing that was effective was when this child would do something inappropriate, I would take him upstairs and we would kneel down beside my bed and pray. (When all else fails, rely on a higher power.) We also would use appropriate scriptural references and my "parables" (I'm sure inspired by a higher power), to shed light on the situation. After our children grew up they had interesting ways of referring to my "parables", but I was extremely grateful the Lord gave them to me nonetheless. We would then have lengthy discussions about what types of choices the Savior, Jesus Christ, would like us to make. Our family has a powerful foundation of love and trust for the Savior so, thankfully, that was a wonderful base to work from. To my relief, my son would usually come to the conclusion that the Savior would have a different idea of the appropriate way to handle the situation he had recently been "caught" in. It was wonderful, however, it is absolutely mind boggling how many NEW situations a child can dream up. I'm not talking once a week, I'm talking... DAILY. He really kept me on my toes. When he grew up he said a couple of amazing things;

1. When asked why he did the things he did as a child and a youth, and why restriction was always a better decision for him than to just do his chores, or homework, or get along with his siblings, he said, "I thought I was 'winning' if I didn't do what you asked." (Strange logic... but there you have it).

2. "Mom, I hope I don't get a child like me."

Now he is grown and has a beautiful family of his own. I said, "sweetheart, I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE, EVER!

Now, I like to just sit and watch him with his wife and children. It's like watching a "feel good" movie. There is so much love and joy in their home. He was blessed with two adorable, sweet little girls and the perfect wife. He was never a typical "sit still and learn in school" type of person which of course caused me much concern. However, he has NEVER been without a job. He has so much natural talent, and ability to learn and lead that he has been a blessing to every employer that has ever hired him. He just had the opportunity this summer to move to Utah with his family into a beautiful home. He just announced yesterday, that he got a new job making more than he was making before the move, with lots of room for the business to grow and for him to move up in it! Helping a business to grow and improve is his specialty. So... you think miracles don't happen? Well, here is a story of many miracles. He is not only a delightful person to be around, he is constantly amazing me with the way he is able to take life a day at a time and turn it into something wonderful. This is what heaven must be like.

1 comment:

genewade013 said...

LOVE READING' HEAVEN LIVES IN YOUR HEART