Saturday, September 18, 2010

If I had a time machine and could reach back in time...

As we raised our 5 amazing children life kicked all of us around, just like it does everyone else, and the road was extremely bumpy at times. I regret the times when the noise and the intense needs, misunderstandings, insane schedules, and mishaps got to me and I was not a "happy mommy". The family pictures bear this out. I was EXHAUSTED, and very overwhelmed and frustrated. Now I can look back in my mind's eye and see each one of my precious children through all of their stages and I yearn to be able to reach back in time. The first thing I would do if I had a time machine, is hug myself and leave a strong knowledge that this time will pass faster than the blink of an eye. I would tell myself to enjoy every bit of each moment I had with my children because they would soon all be grown and gone. I would tell myself that for every word of criticism, "suggestions" about how they might have done something better, I needed to remember to first slather them with love and at least 5 praiseworthy and loving comments. As they grew older I finally caught on to that. It's miraculous how many things your kids will do for you, or will respond positively to if their "love buckets" are filled to the brim. When they know you love, admire and respect them, in spite of their weaknesses, you have some "magical clout" when you really need it. Of course you have to choose your battles carefully. Be sure that whatever you feel you need to fix is REALLY important... not just "how many times do I have to tell you to put the lid on the peanut butter jar and put it away?!!"... kind of thing. Well, as my children got older (age 10 through teens), I began to feel more heaven as I started using more praise and less criticism.

No comments: